Saturday, August 28, 2010

Flu Vaccine

That time again comes early this year. Vaccines are already available, but the arguments lag. I got mine before the rush, and feel a bit uncomfortable. To me that indicates I've been vaccinate against a strain I would have been susceptible to. Better a day or so of slight discomfort than weeks of sheer misery.

Those who no longer get the vaccine because "it made me ill" or "it gave me the flu" know not what they do. Reaction to the vaccine that expresses as symptoms indicates high susceptibility. Those symptoms will diminish in following years as immunity builds. Ceasing vaccination puts that person and those around them at risk.

Least amusing are the health-care workers who refuse to get it or bitch about having be inoculated. If they work with those whose immunities are compromised, and transmit flu which proves lethal, are they not guilty of at least manslaughter?

One is contagious for a day or so before expressing symptoms. That day they are potentially an Angel of Death.